Tuesday, November 14, 2023

Then Came the River - Debapriya Datta

Fiction

Verdict: Read It (4/5)

Overview:

This also was a random pick from Bookworm. It is the first novel from Debapriya Datta that I have read.

This is the story of a small tea plantation worker's daughter. She grows up and builds a friendship with a foreign friend. The plot line works through some of their life and the friendship that ensues. 

What I Enjoyed:

It's not often that Indian authors broach the subject of cross-cultural friendships. The mindfulness in which it was done was a very pleasant surprise. I've often said that books from different parts of India have different flavors. Assam and the North East are the two places I truly struggle to understand and identify with. That's not to say I dislike stories from these places, but they are exotic and truly stretch my comprehension of India. The story also gives an honest view of the ups and downs and natural lifespan of friendships. It doesn't paint a rosy picture but rather a realistic one where closeness levels don't always match, friendships peter out, and everything doesn't wrap up neatly like a movie.

What I Disliked:

There were parts of this novel that were slow. Then again, I've found that to be the case in most books I read from the North East and Assam; the rhythm and pacing just work differently. Aside from that, the friendship examination bothered me a bit too. I understand that a character can only tell a story from one side, but as someone coming from the other side of similar friendships, that would have been nice to see as well. 

Summary:

This is an easy novel to read and not too large for comfort. Enjoy the easy pace and the in-depth search of friendship. Read it!

 

~Becky~

 

No comments:

Post a Comment