Tuesday, November 14, 2023

Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War and Its Aftermath - Randy Miller

 Author's note: This review is my work and has appeared in Online Book Club as well. The link for the OBC review: https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=367989&p=2346851#p2346851

Verdict: Read it if you have experience with the navy, the Vietnam war, or the US health care system’s treatment of veterans. (Rating 3/5)

Overview: This is the first book I’ve ready by Randy Miller.  There weren’t any big discrepancies between the title and what was in the book – so no spoilers to say to watch out for in this review.

Most of us younger folks are vaguely aware of the Vietnam War. I’m not exactly young at 40, but definitely too young to remember the Vietnam Era as I wasn’t born yet when it happened. We all get the requisite history classes in school and perhaps a supplemental movie or two. As they say, to the victor goes the writing of history. I wouldn’t say that the US won the Vietnam war by any stretch of the imagination, but the US certainly loves colouring history in very specific shades.

I Enjoyed: This book is obviously written by someone that has a very similar (but not exact) experience as Zach, the protagonist of the story. I would bet the author had a similar upbringing to the protagonist as well, being from a farm or a very simple, straight forward spoken family. This honesty and candour bring a refreshing, non-politicized viewpoint. We also get to hear about the navy’s roll in the Vietnam war, something that isn’t frequently discussed in history classes. I find it very honest when service men and women are open about their experience in the armed forces. I find it important to have an open discussion about the armed forces rather than just hero worship that gets piped through politicians and the news daily.

Suggestions for Improvement:  I’ll start with the most obvious point for me, which was the accents. Not only did I find it confusing why this mattered to the plot line, trying to read the dialogue was distracting as hell as I found myself sounding out words and wondering how they fit in this or that accent. I also found myself drowning in definitions and explanations about the navy that did not do anything at all for the plot. As a fellow author, I have an unfortunate amount of experience in how this happens, especially in light of the earlier explanation of how I’m pretty sure this is a personal experience for the author. While there was a plot (I wondered for a while in the middle!), I found it too loosely structured and lacking in details that would keep the reader engaged in the plot rather than understanding the author’s experience in the navy. In fact, Vietnam seemed like a subplot to the navy experience and the protagonist’s relationship, which I find to be a shame.  I was disappointed in the lack of character development in the protagonist. Randy Miller has explained his background perhaps a bit too thoroughly, but he remains flat and unreachable on the page. I’m a stickler for plot and character development, as well as consistence. For a book about the Vietnam war, the war itself seemed like an afterthought. The accents/dialect differentiation between characters made it difficult to understand how well proofread the book was. This affected my rating as well.

Summary: Someone has done Randy Miller a disservice in terms of editing and plot development if it’s not self-published. With a little better plot and character development, this novel could be a very good read. That being said, I find his experience important to share even in the current state. The parallels between some of what’s happening in the US today is not an obvious repeat of previous experiences, which I personally find interesting as well as exasperating.  I think it would be more appealing to someone who has first hand experience with the navy.


No comments:

Post a Comment