Tuesday, November 14, 2023

A House for Mr. Misra - Jaishree Misra

NonFiction

Verdict: Read It (5/5)

Overview:
I Picked up this very small book from Bookworm. The cover artwork is very nice. This is the first book I've read by Jaishree Misra.

This novel revolves around an Indian couple that has moved from Britain back to India. The main character, whose name is not disclosed beyond Mr. M's wife, is a Malayali from Kerala. her husband is vaguely from "North India". They purchase some land and proceed to deal with the idiocy that is India anytime anything official or bureaucratic happens. 

What I Enjoyed:
I think anyone who has purchased a home of any type in India can relate to some (or all!) of the struggles that the Misras' went through. I certainly could. Trying to do things both by the book and with a workaround will never go as planned, and will possibly become very difficult. A well-written and edited book. 

What I Disliked:
I wanted this novel to be longer and have more details. While I could appreciate the beauty of a short story about an isolated subject, I really wanted to know more about the Misras and the process of their house. 

Summary:
Another rainy afternoon delight, it's short but entertaining and worth it. If you understand India, bureaucracy, and property, this is a book for you. Read it!

~Becky~

No comments:

Post a Comment