Tuesday, November 14, 2023

Beloved Delhi: A Mughal City and Her Greatest Poets - Saif Mahmood

NonFiction

Verdict: Read It (4/5)

Overview:

I picked this up from Bookworm. It is the first work I have read by Saif Mahmood

I have a horrific fascination with Delhi. It's a complex city with an intricate history of amazing and terrible things. Poets are one of the geat things to come out of the city. I especially enjoy reading about Urdu poetry, though it continues to escape my comprehension if not appreciation. 

Saif Mahmood goes on a tour of Delhi and some of her most famous poets. It's a history and cultural lesson neatly wrapped up.

What I Enjoyed:

Saif Mahmood has a gift for bringing to life poets. His insight into them as people and in their time context is excellent for understanding where the poetry they wrote came from. Each section is digestible and while related, it is not necessary to read any other section to understand; you can come and go as you'd like.

What I Disliked:

I wanted more information! To be fair, it's a good-sized book and more information would have been overkill.

Summary:

This is a good read if you're feeling indulgent or romantic. Urdu poetry could bring romance even out of the dead. Understanding the poets and city that produced it helps you appreciate the poetry even more. Read it!

 

~Becky~

No comments:

Post a Comment