Tuesday, November 14, 2023

The Prodigy Slave Book One: Journey to Winter Garden – Londyn Skye

Author's note: This review is my work and has appeared in Online Book Club as well. The link for the OBC review: https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=392980&p=2394243#p2394243

Verdict: Approach with caution. (Rating 3/5). I have given this rating due to the subject matter and writing style explained below.

Overview: This is the first book I’ve read by London Skye. It’s a romance novel.

I’m not new to romance novels and can appreciate the formulaic writing, cheap sex scenes, and all the glorious time-pass they entail. This novel turned out to be a bit different than I expected, both good and bad, as I’ll outline later.

The novel brings us through the journey of a female slave, Lily. She is ripped from her mother’s arms as a child, finds a childhood friend who she thinks will betray her again, is given a chance to foster musical talent, and finally becomes successful.

As I mentioned, romance novels are generally written only for entertainment. I found myself hard-pressed in this novel to keep the reading at a surface level. I’ll avoid political commentary in this review, but as a reader, it will be difficult to avoid if the reader is aware and introspective.

I Enjoyed: The author has made a strong attempt at a non-cliched, talented, female main character. She has also tried to tell a different slavery story and highlight that perhaps there were times when white people supported people of color and tried to change the system. There is a clear plot line that isn’t just sex. Many of the cliched, ridiculous romance novel misogynies were also pleasantly absent. I enjoy stories when the timeline jumps around and this novel does that well.

Suggestions for Improvement: Spelling out accents in dialogue is extremely distracting. I got stuck trying to re-create accents and wondering if I was in the South, North East, or Southern Midwest where I grew up. The phonetic spellings only occasionally appeared for certain characters, increasing my confusion. Informing the audience that the scene takes place in the South, or that a character is from London is sufficient; the reader can imagine the accents as he or she will. I also found there to be too much repetition of ideas and scenes. While the author did make a successful attempt to weave a story with intersecting timelines, I wished I could skip sections because the point they were making was already long-established. I stretched to the outside of my patience for glossing over facts and realities. While I understand that romance novels are meant to be fantasy, this novel tried to take a horrific historical occurrence and gloss over it. I could not enjoy it because I could not get around the re-engineered political and social implications. The author also seemed to tire of the project at the end and told the audience the ending, rather than finish weaving the story. While I can understand this as a writer, it wasn’t ideal.

Summary: This was a hard read for me. While it was well written and the author thought through and put a lot of effort into the work, I’m not certain it’s possible to change the rhetoric on some topics; slavery is one of those topics for me. A clear attempt was made to avoid ethnic and gender-related “savior” cliches, but they ended up coming out in the end anyhow. The imposition of current socially aware thinking (such as asking for permission to have sex with someone in that era, not to mention someone whom you’ve been conditioned to not think of as a human being) struck me as improbable and rang false. The point I’m getting at here is that it’s too much for a romance novel. Expecting a social examination from a historical romance novel doesn’t fit the genre. Read it if you’re curious and able to turn your analytical thinking off.

No comments:

Post a Comment