Tuesday, November 14, 2023

The HandMaid's Tail - Margret Atwood

Fiction

Verdict: Not Worth It (2/5)

Overview:

This is one of those novels that you can't even avoid hearing about. I'm not usually a fan of popular English Fiction, but I thought to give it a try. Just FYI - I didn't see the TV series.

The novel is a dystopian version of society where class and gender determine social standing and who breeds.

What I Enjoyed:

The story was easy to read and only took me a few hours. 

What I Disliked:

I understand the attempt at social commentary and feminism, but I was severely disappointed in this novel. The misogynistic cliches weren't anything new and I was again disappointed in a female author using them, even to make a point. There are plenty of opportunities to point out similar injustices in the real world, there really is no point in catering to sadistic wet dreams about subjugating women. 

Summary:

I know it's popular, and people are enjoying talking about it, but that doesn't make it a good novel. This pseudo-feminism and women buying into the weird romance of this type of crap helps no one evolve. Not worth it in my opinion.

 

~Becky~

No comments:

Post a Comment