Tuesday, November 14, 2023

Shut the Lights - Smita Bhattacharya

 Fiction

Verdict: Read It (3/5)

Overview:

Smita Bhattacharya is a new author for me. 

Set in Mumbai, this is a Covid Era mystery that unfolds like one of those plays that has only one set. A servant's child goes missing and it's puzzling how. The children are surly and secretive, the marriage is on the rocks, and COVID is adding a crazy pressure to everything.

What I Enjoyed:

The format was different. You're left guessing a million different ways it could have happened. The author does a good job of keeping you wondering until the very end.

What I Disliked:

Unfortunately, Covid sucked. Big time. I did not want to read a novel about Covid time - I remember it too well and the murder mystery didn't alleviate that. The culprit, and I won't give away who it is, was pretty obvious if you ask me. The response to the culprit was also pretty disappointing. 

Summary:

Murder mysteries aren't really my thing yet I seem to keep finding them in my book stack. I'm not sure anyone wants to revisit covid, even in the form of a good murder mystery. It was well written, but still not my cup of tea.

 

~Becky~

 

No comments:

Post a Comment