Saturday, April 2, 2022

The Tablighi Jamaat - Ziya Us Salam

NonFiction

Verdict: Read if you're interested in small sects of Islam


This was a passing fancy that I was curious about, so picked up. The Tablighi Jamaat is a sect of Islam that had it's start in Delhi. It's focus is in proselytization and prayer.  They have their own community, norms, dress, and belief system.

This book was interesting as even someone living in india, I hadn't heard much exposure to the Tablighi Jamaat. There was a big uproar at the begining of covid about how meetings contributed to the spread, but to be honest, this isn't really a cause for interest here. People do what they'd like, regardless of the impact on others and I didn't pay too much attention to it. 

Examining the principles of the organiztion in contrast with the mainstream flavor of Islam was interesting to see. I'll avoid commenting on any of the philosophical or cultural differences as I don't feel it's my place to comment on those areas.

I did see a lot of judgement from the author on whether or not the Tablighi Jamaat was a good, correct organization within the structure of Islam or not. I personally felt this didn't have a place in the book as it was more of an informational book, but I can see how the author might have felt the need to clarify his feelings for other Muslims. 

Read it if you're interested in this subject.


~Becky~

No comments:

Post a Comment