Saturday, April 2, 2022

The Bride in the Rainy Mountains - Kuvempu

Fiction

Verdict: If you're interested in Kannada literature and culture


This was another recommendation from my friendly sales person at Book Worm. I wasn't extremely enthusiastic at first because it was expensive and a very very large book. But I've started to take an interest lately into Kannadiga authors, and Kuvempu is a famous, award winning poet and author. So I conceded.

It's a historical novel about a vague place in Uttara Kannada (the northern part of Karnataka). A few different cultures, languages, and customs converge in this area. The author's language choices were fun and very much unique to that area, which I enjoyed. I also enjoyed digging in to some of the cultural roots in Karnataka. It's not an area I've explored much. 

There's a a vague plot like and a few main characters. The side characters are many. It's mainly just life going by in a few villages and how they interconnect. Its not thrilling, but the author does an exemplary job of highlighting and describing how life is in such a situation in the time period it's set in.

It's definitely a long novel, and to be quite honest I got bored in a few places. Not many, but a few. The author does a good job of pacing and his descriptions keep you engaged. Definitely read it if you are intereted in Karanataka culture, village life and history. 


Read it!

~Becky~

No comments:

Post a Comment