Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Love in Chakiwara - Muhammad Khalid Akhtar

Fiction: Stort Stories

Verdict: Read it


I've spoken about how I'm a fan of short stories, especially those woven around each other. This was a delight to find. I haven't really read any Pakistani writers before. It was familiar, but gloriously nuanced in a different way than Indian writers.

Chakiwara is a small town, just like any other. It has a roster of odd characters, just like any quality small town. The author walks us through a series of just absurd enough stories. They're hilarious in a way that makes me green with envy. It takes a while to absorb and appreciate.

I won't go into the details of each of the stories, but if you're looking for an entry into Pakistani Urdu humor, you could find much worse places to dive in. Akhtar is a delight. 


Read it!

~Becky~

No comments:

Post a Comment