Friday, May 26, 2023

Happy Go Lucky - David Sedaris

NonFiction

Verdict: Read It!


David Sedaris has long been a favorite author of mine. I find his humor divine and just a touch too real without denegrating anyone. It's glorious. 

I didn't find much work by him at my local library, but I did find this one and I'm so glad I did. If you are familiar with Sedaris's work, you expect humor. This book was indeed humorous, but in a gentler, more observational way. The central theme of the book is the end of his father's life. A father who for sure was an unrepentant asshole his whole life....until he wasn't at the end. Sedaris has multiple siblings and walks the reader through a variety of reactions to the end of a life of someone close to him and his siblings. His partner is a central theme and a redeeming grace for the reader - someone supports David, even if it is in an odd and off beat way. 

I'm not at all disappointed, but I did find myself quietly contemplating what he had written more than perhaps I would have with other works. The underlying theme is that familial relationships and death are fucking hard. With a Grandfather well into his 90's and slowly declining, I could relate a little too well. I'll never advocate skipping any Sedaris work you can get your hands on and this is no exception.

Read it!

~Becky~


No comments:

Post a Comment