Tuesday, June 16, 2020

The Krishna Key - Ashwin Sanghi

Fiction
Verdict: Depends on your tolerance of mythology

I have read Ashwin Sanghi previously. This is a book I have been meaning to read for quite some time now, so when the librarian mentioned it, I decided to just go for it.

Ashwin brings his audience through a suspense novel concerning some artifacts, the Indian mythological system, murder, and misplaced righteousness. Spoiler - I didn't finish it. I'll get to that in a minute.

I enjoy Ashwin Sanghi's writing, aside from a few novel-specific points He's competent, coherent (or at least has a good editor!), and overall spins a good story.

Why it didn't work for me:
1. I appreciate mythology, I truly do. I'm not sure if Sanghi was trying to appeal to a wider audience than India, but he over explains the mythological concepts and connection in the guise of a teacher/student dynamic. This bothers me because a, I'd bet that almost every Indian knows these stories, b, trying to sell them as actual events here is not going to be argued with too much, and c, your student is 40 years old - she won't be asking level 1 questions.
2. I will never be convinced that the Mahabharata's stories are any more true than the bible or Koran. Less likely in fact.
3. The characters were caricatures. The geeky but hot student, the chain smoking, rough voiced female cop that scares the shit out of her colleagues and everyone in general.....come on.


If you have some time and you like mythology and the echo chamber that exists here about proving questionable events, then feel free. Not my cup of tea.

~Becky~

No comments:

Post a Comment