Tuesday, November 12, 2019

The Unbearable Lightness of Being - Milan Kundera

Fiction
Verdict: Meh

When I moved out of American Fiction and expanded to Indian authors, the differences in outlook knocked me sideways. For some reason, it never occured to me that European authors would have their own flavor. This book is just one example I've had of that. I can't even decide if I liked it or not - which is quite the statement for me. While we can't pigeon hole groups of people, mindset affects storytelling and different places have different mindsets.

Kundera's novel traces through the life of two couples and the ebb and flow of those relationships. While it's interesting from the viewpoint that relationships are seen in a very different light, the casual nature of the relationships is hard to digest. The idea that connections last but relationships don't always. The over defined sense of self and ease of letting go when the situation changes.

It was certainly educational, if an uncomfortable read for me. There were no major shocks in the plot line, but the subtle tension of will something happen or not was definitely there.

Read it. If nothing else, you'll ponder your own relationships for a while.

Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment