Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Essential Rumi

Poetry
Verdict: Read it

Ah Rumi. You and your poety friends continue to elude me. I'll be honest here. I picked up Rumi because I saw a lot of nice Pinterest quotes and I was hoping to cultivate an appreciation and understanding of poetry - especially that of the Urdu variety.

Unfortunately, I did not have any more luck with Rumi than I did with Neruda, Ghalib, etc. This is not to say it wasn't worth reading, nor that it was poorly written. I just felt like I didn't get it.

What I very much did appreciate was the historical and cultural context this book shared with me in regards to Urdu poetry. It was all at once fascinating and terrible to read - I wondered if I was even qualified to understand the explanation, leave alone the poetry.

In the end it was beautiful to read and I will continue my exploration. Hopefully with time and some handy guides to poetry, I should be able to have a better grasp on this type of thing.

Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment