Thursday, September 19, 2019

How I Became a Farmer's Wife - Yashodhara Lal

Non-Fiction
Verdict: Read it

This was another interesting one. I can't remember why I chose to rent it, but I was definitely interested.

The story is about a couple who have kids and a happy life but the husband has dreams of being a farmer. So he quits his job, finds a partner, and does just that. Obviously this isn't an easy task for him, not to mention the family supporting him.

The author is honest about the difficulties they face, sometimes hilariously frustrating as India is prone to be. The incident with the babas taking over the farm had me laughing in delight.

It was a little heavy on the spiritual angle for my taste. I really didn't need to know what she talked about with her yoga instructor, but hey, i guess that was how she coped.

The ending also didn't wrap up neatly. Her husband decided that even with the steep learning curve and some moderate sucess, that the first attempt had failed. But that didn't stop him from deciding to evolve his technique, find cheaper land, and try again.

It was refreshing to see people going after something they were passionate about.

Read it.

Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment