Thursday, September 19, 2019

An Equal Music - Vikram Seth

Fiction
Verdict: Read It

I'll be honest. After reading the behemoth that was "A Suitable Boy", I was wary of reading any more from Vikram Seth. It was an excellent read, but holy hotcakes was it long.

I was not disappointed with An Equal Music either. If Seth knows how to do one thing well, it's weave a long and complex story, and he's done it here. Focusing on the affair between professional musicians in Europe, it has a different flavor than normal Indian novels. It still has the ever present melancholy and fatalism that marks so many Indian authors.

It's not a happy ending, and watching the affair dwindle off to nothing is almost as excruciating as watching the main character's love interest lose her hearing, which is devastating for a musician.

I found myself wondering just what the point of the main character's life was, until it resembled my own, which was of course infinitely depressing.

It's not short, or easy, but read it anyhow. Vikram Seth's stories really are well spun.

Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment