Friday, January 27, 2017

A House for Mr. Biswas - V.S. Naipul

Fiction
Verdict: Meh....

For a book that came well recommended, I had a hard time getting into this one. Set in the Caribbean, this novel follows a Caribbean Indian named Mr. Biswas, from his birth to his death. His childhood is not easy nor particularly happy. After he gets married, he is forever hen pecked and at odds with his wife's family in a fight to not be absorbed by them and become like them - a thing he finds detestable. 

He's not a likable protagonist. Flawed, stubborn, and not overly smart, I found it hard to like him. I also found the Caribbean Indian angle difficult to understand, as the cultural references, and back story aren't ones I understand. I found the novel to stretch out interminably at certain places, caught in the mundane everyday interactions that left me wondering why I needed to read yet another of the same fight.

The much touted humor in this book left me wondering where exactly it was. I never did find it.

Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment