Wednesday, March 21, 2012

A Walk in the Woods - Bill Bryson


Listening to: 2 very chatty daughters of mine

Mood: In a funk

I happened to be browsing through my sister in law’s bookshelf for something, anything to read, she suggested this book. It’s pretty slim pickings around the G household these days. India – you need libraries. Make it happen.

Anyhow, I know that this book may not appeal to everyone. The author goes and hikes portions of the Appalachian Trail. Actually, my interest was only piqued because my brother had expressed a keen interest in hiking the trail while he was staying with us a year ago.  That combined with the endorsement of my sister in law that he was funny and I decided why not.

She wasn’t lying, he is funny. Not all the time, and not enough to write home about, but he does take a light hearted approach to writing. I found it interesting enough to read in 1 day. I’m a fast reader though.
It wasn’t a great book, it was just a “meh” book. Mildly amusing and a good time pass if you have any interest at all in Hiking. I felt that it dragged on a bit at the end. The best part was his phobia of bears and reminding all the readers that he read lots of books on bear attacks and how he was sure to die of a vicious, slow bear attack.

Verdict: Meh. Not a bad read if you’re bored or interested in hiking.

No comments:

Post a Comment