Wednesday, March 21, 2012

From the Archives: I am America (And so can You!) - Steven Colbert


Listening to: Still more Scooby Do
Mood: Happy

So I’m a big fan of Mr. Steven Colbert. In fact, I’ve been going through withdrawal symptoms lately with the writers’ strike, but that’s a different blog altogether. He made a big deal out of the book that he wrote and endlessly (and indeed shamelessly) plugged his book on his show, so I decided to pick it up at the library when I saw it. Mr. Colbert, I know I am not a true patriot because I use libraries. Sorry about that, but that’s how I roll.
I was a bit disappointed by this book. Steven wrote the book with a whole list of other people. He added his style, viral name, and image to the book, but I was left wondering how much he actually wrote.  It’s a bit heavy on Steven’s style, and borrows a lot from his show. It’s also a little fragmented if you read all of the side notes in with the text, like I did.  I know most of us don't look to Mr. Colbert for brain science expertise, but still. This book is just fine if you want a shot of humor and irony, ala Steven Colbert, but don’t expect him to say anything different from what you’ve heard on his show.

Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment