Sunday, April 16, 2023

Quite Flows the River Jhelum - Jajabot

NonFiction

Verdict: Read it if Partition and Kashmir interest you

I picked this up because it appeared on one of my must read list. Now that I've finished it, I'm not sure I agree it should have been on there, but it's not my list, so. 

This book is non fiction and mostly revolves around Partition and the results on Kashmir. I've talked before about the bloody and difficult histoy Kashmir has had and of course this book is the same. 

I didn't care for the pro-army bent that was boldly in front through this book. I've discussed the issues with the Indian army in Kashmir before as well, but I've never seen such a pro-army discussion outright. There's a lot of history and event sequencing discussed in this book, perhaps too much, it reads like a documentary. Perhaps that was the point. It's not a long book - you can probably finish it within an hour or so. 

As with most books on Kashmir, this left me with a sad, disquieted feeling. If you're literate about the events in Kashmir, this book won't tell you anything different. If you're not, it's definitely slanted to make the army the hero, which is definitely isn't. 


~Becky~

No comments:

Post a Comment