Wednesday, September 1, 2021

The Loneliness of Hira Barua - Aruna Patangia Kalita

Fiction

Read it!


I have a weakness for short stories. This was a compilation of such short stories that was recommended to me from a few different places. Also a Sahitya Akademi Award winner. Ahem. 

I believe that books from different places come with inherent unique tones based on the exprience of the broad population. The smaller and more niche the population, the more these characteristics will stand out. I've discussed a book I read from Manipur (excellent read by the way!) and without planning it, I've ended up with a book of Assamese stories. Well. That certainly was a shocker in a delightful way. 

It was quite difficult for me to fully understand and appreciate the background that went into developing these stories. I have never lived anywhere with political insurgents, nor any of the other atrocities that went into developing the mindset in some of these stories. They are honest, if nothing else. The truth of the situation is laid bare. Not always explicitly, but subtly and well explained. 

This isn't a light Sunday afternoon read. It's one that must be thought through and appreciated. The final story is about a person - Hira Barua - who is the book's namesake. It's a longer story and makes you truly think about people who have no one else who are left behind in life. 

It's not your average everyday book of happy ending stories. But well worth the read!


~Becky~

No comments:

Post a Comment