Friday, August 21, 2020

Hindutva or Hind Swaraj - UR Ananthamurthy

Non-Fiction

Read it if you dare


This was yet another suggestion from the book seller. It's the first non-fiction that I've read in quite some time, and readers it has left me scratching my head wondering what has happened. 

UR Ananthamurthy has created a political manifesto that I'm not even going to attempt to describe as I'm sure I would mess it all up and possible offend many people. I will say this. Mr. Ananthamurthy has an axe to grind with PM Nirendra Modi, and does such using Gandhi, Dostoevsky, and even mythological references. 

I'm not much into the painfully small details of politics in India (though I do follow what's going on), yet I just couldn't follow all of the references the author made though he took pains to leave bread crumbs. I couldn't manage to put together the simple words into the concepts that he was trying to convey. I feel that I was missing a lot of important Gandhi context that may have made it clearer. I also need to do more research on Savarkar, as I have never heard of him before. 

I happen to agree with Ananthamurthy on PM Modi, but perhaps not for the reasons he suggests - I can't quite sort that out. I suggest that you read this if you have a firm grasp oh the politics and thought processes going on during Gandhi's time. Otherwise....Good luck to you.


~Becky~

No comments:

Post a Comment