Friday, May 1, 2020

Left from the Nameless Shop - Adithi Rao

Fiction
Verdict: Read it

Left from the nameless shop is a novel that has short stories from a village woven together. Reminiscent of R.K. Narayan's Malgudi days, these stories are easy to read and make you feel nice. I've often said that authors from different places have their own particular flavor (Indians, Bengalis, Europeans, etc) and while every author has his or her own style, Adithi Rao definitely is reminiscent of the other Kannadiga writers I have had the pleasure of reading. 

While I didn't grow up in a small Indian village, I did grow up in a small town in the US. Some of the stories that the author included were very identifiable for me and reminded me of some of my own experiences growing up. Lacking the pathos of other Indian authors, you feel happy reading these and trust the author that even if things don't work out perfectly, the sky won't fall. 

The only complaint that I have for this book is that there are quite a few Kannada phrases included that aren't followed by translation. While I can guess through context what they mean, as a reluctant non Kannada speaker, this was frustrating for me as language adds depth to writing. Phrases can also be learned this way.

This is not a long or difficult novel to read and a great way to spend a weekend camped out on the couch in quarantine. 

Read it!

~Becky~

No comments:

Post a Comment