Tuesday, March 17, 2020

The Age of Kali - William Dalrymple

Non-Fiction
Verdict: Read It


I wasn't quite sure how I would like this book when I picked it up. British writers make me hesitate for some reason, especially when they write about India. Left over colonialist thoughts and such. William Dalrymple has made me change my mind - at least in terms of his writing. 

This is a collection of stories about things that he's seen - most of them not good things. The book is a bit older - 90's and such, so it's a bit out of date, but most of the issues that he highlights are still sore spots for India. 

The interesting part of this is that Dalrymple is a journalist. And he's a good one. He brings a beautiful impartiality when he tells stories. You know that some of the things he explains are not good, but he lets you decide why.  I'm not sure how, but he has somehow gotten a very intimate view of the subjects he's discussing as well. Not easy for a foreigner to understand the culture and underlying issues well enough to grasp the whole situation. It's refreshing and I feel still relevant even though it was written around 20 years ago. 

India has made huge strides and at the same time stood still. This book highlights that.

Do read it.

Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment