Monday, December 12, 2011

A River Runs Through It - Norman Maclean

I borrowed this book because my dad really liked the movie when I was younger and I happened to catch my husband's brother in law reading it and he recommended it.

This piece of fiction is written around a Scottish Presbyterian male familial group of fly fishermen. It has been hailed by critics to be a great work and even more exceptional as the author finished the book in his 70's and it was his first work.

To be completely honest, I'm not sure why he did recommend it. My husband's brother in law is Indian and not all that into fishing. This was the major problem I had reading this book. In the interest of disclosure I didn't finish it. I have read many books that have nothing to do with my interests, experiences in life, or background and enjoyed them. For some reason, this wasn't one of them. I'm not sure if it's the author's writing style, the heavy "this is a man's book" feel, or if fishing is just too far out of my interest range, but I just lost interest very quickly.

Verdict: I don't know that I would recommend this to anyone who's not a man that's into fishing. I'm not saying it wasn't bad, but it is a niche book and not to my tastes.

No comments:

Post a Comment