Friday, October 15, 2010

The Toss of a Lemon - Padma Viswanathan

There aren't many fiction books that I would rave over, but this is one of them. Months after I read this book, I'm still contemplating it. If you are not familiar with Indian authors, let me give you a heads up. Most, if not all, of them are super deep and hold a pessimistic view of the world and personal relationships. This heavily colors the story lines and characters in their writing. There is no bubble gum candy pop lit like we have in the US. The book follows the historical life story of a Tamil Brahman (high class for those of you unfamiliar) woman through out her life. She is widowed with 2 small children at a young age. If nothing else, the book is a startling introduction to that aspect of Indian culture for those who do not have exposure to that segment of the world's population. I found it wildly exotic and interesting even though my family's history has nothing to do with anything in this book.

Verdict - Read it!

No comments:

Post a Comment